My New Old Buddy

Since Wolf went off to college, I have been bringing Argus to work with me.

Argus aka Pops and sometimes – Popasnoris is a 14 years old Border Terrier. Normally, he is walking around looking for someone to reach down and pet him or better yet, feed him. Our day is basically the same. Sometimes I have to wake him up. Most of the time he gets up on his own. I feed him and let him out before we leave the house. He rides in a pet carrier strapped into the back of the car. The carrier is facing forward so he can see me and I can see him. He rarely lays down on the way to the boat. I don’t think he likes being in there. On the way home, he busies himself by cleaning his feet and then might catch a nap. During the day at the carpentry shop, Wayne feeds him scraps everyday during lunch. I think Wayne knows that a dog will be your best friend if you feed him and the dog will especially like you if you feed him something unusually good. Wayne feeds him really delicious and unhealthy stuff. Around 10:30 a.m., Argus starts getting antsy and stays close to Wayne. Its funny to watch Argus go crazy looking for more chicken skins in the sawdust. By 3:30 p.m., Argus stays closer to me. He starts an annoying pattern of going to the door and scratching more often. He only does it when he knows someone is watching or close enough to hear him. He scratches a door about 20 times a day. I know he doesn’t need to go out, but I let him out anyways. The other day, when I was ignoring him at the door-he scratched on the blue plastic cooler I use to carry my lunch and other stuff. Pretty smart dog. Everyone loves him at the shop and if I don’t have him in tow-everyone will ask what happened. Isn’t that old senile dog cute?

First Formica on Wolf’s Wall

You can see from the photo that I have attached the first of six pieces of formica/ply.

There are three pieces on each side, the inside of the aft cabin and outside. The procedure begins with fitting followed by determining how I’m going to brace and provide pressure to make it stick to the wall evenly.

I cover the exposed wood of both the wall and the formica/ply with a coat of resin. While that is setting, I prep the the cavacil (resin mixed with silica (crushed fiberglass)) by placing about a quart of the cavacil onto a beer flat. A beer flat is the cardboard bottom that multiple six packs are carried with. I then apply, using a trowel, the mixture onto both the formica/ply laminate and the main wall. This is nasty work. The cavacil goes everywhere and it IS SO STICKY. There are sometimes a few changes of gloves during this process. Once in position, I begin to apply the braces. This is tricky and I am rarely perfect in ensuring the fit is perfect. Once all the clamps and braces are in place, I clean up. The whole process is done in a white protective suit with full mask and takes about an hour. After a couple of hours, I pull it all down and clean up my messy spots. here if the final product.

Tomorrow, I will finish the inside!

Aft Stateroom Aft Bulkhead

The title says it all. The day was spent preparing and attaching the ply/formica laminate sheet tot he aft bulkhead. A great deal of time was spent cutting out the window in the laminate. The window allows viewing access to the area beneath the cockpit and especially the steerage. I also routed the teak that serves as the edge of of the wood covering the cockpit. It as a very long day, but I finished what I set out to do. My phone died, so I will provide pictures tomorrow.

Cabinet Laminating

Another day wearing a respirator and working with resin. I finished laminating the aft cabin cabinets with ply/formica.

Here is a close up of what almost all new bulkheads or partitions look like.

Cabin furniture will be laminated with teak.
Tomorrow, I plan to install the face onto the cabinets after I insert the cabinet backings. Stay tuned-it will look amazing.

Sand without the Beach

All I did today was sand all the areas where I fiberglassed. Sanding is necessary to ensure that new fiberglass or resin, if applied, sticks. That may be necessary in places where there are voids or where the wood is not fully protected. Sanding is also necessary to ensure there is a good mechanical bond for the gelcoat to adhere to. I will be applying gelcoat to the entire area in the future. I need to apply the gelcoat before it gets too cold in order for it to cure.
I made a decision that from this point forward, I am only going to focus on the aft berth. Next week, I hope to sand the aft bulkhead then dewax the cabinets where I painted gelcoat sometime late last year. I need to dewax the gelcoat to ensure the laminates stick when they are cabaciled (new verb Websters) in and when I touch up the cabinets with new gelcoat. Next, I am going to apply the laminates to all walls and bulkheads. Making leveled areas in the concave hull with plywood will happen after that. To fasten them in and protect them, I will cover them with resin and or fiberglass. When that is finished, I will put in the middle bulkhead to the aft stateroom. This bulkhead holds up the forward portion of the bunk and hides the batteries from sight. It also ties into the closet. The closet construction is next. Then I will put in the sub-floor between the main wall separating the aft cabin and galley. I give myself three weeks.

Got Some Momentum

I finished fiberglassing the starboard aft bulkhead. Today, I fiberglassed the side where we store the poo. No poo to be stored there in the future. We are going to have a composting head. I also sealed the bulkhead in front of it-the one separating the poo room from the head. There was some prep necessary and that took about an hour of grinding and sanding. Here are both sides. When I’m done, nobody will be able to tell that I scarfed the bulkhead together.

All afternoon I labored making the aft stateroom cabinet laminates. See them laid out and all neatly sanded to fit. There was a lot of back and forth between Gemini and the sanding machine to make this a reality.

Here is what they look like loosely put into the boat.

It was a good day.

Back at it-on my own :(

Arriving at the marina was like moving into a fogbank. I didn’t know where to start, and there was no spotlight shining on the obvious next step. I have to admit I was also feeling a bit overwhelmed. The number of tasks is thick.

First step, go see the folks in the yard. Quick hello’s and I was off. I eventually found my way.
First, I sanded the foam beneath the most aft starboard bulkhead into a nice crescent shape to allow the fiberglass to sit nicely. Both sides needed the shave. I then jumped in full bore. Anyone watching would know that my donning the Tyvex suit meant some fiberglass had to be ground into control. Somehow, some fibers feel better being as close to me as possible. I finally fiberglassed the aft portion of the bulkhead. Not feeling satisfied, I fiberglassed the hull where JJ and I had pulled up some of the copper mesh. Still feeling incomplete, I fiberglassed the outside of the propane locker.

Lastly, after lunch and a couple of aimless trips back and forth from the shop to Gemini looking for the next step. Maybe, my mask isn’t working and I am resin burned. I felt out of it. I made an attempt to finish removing varnish from one of the doors. I didn’t even try before I decided I was going to start sanding the fiberglass work I did last week. But, that would just get stuck to all the wet resin laying around and crap, it really smells like resin. I finally decided to laminate the interior of the aft cabin storage bins. See the results? I just need to cavacil them into place.

Last of the Rot

Today, marks the end of rot in our times on Gemini. As you can see, I removed an interesting shape from the bulkhead. Originally, I was just going to remove a little, then I thought that I should remove it all.

Much of the day was spent making the braces that would keep the pieces together at the right angles while I fiberglassed the wall. I had to drill a lot of holes in the braces as well as in the remaining fiberglass tabbing to ensure the wood went into place. Gathering the supplies also took some time. The plan was to wet out the wood with resin to provide a barrier if water got in. Then, I put down cabacil in between the board and the existing tabbing. With all of it wet and sticky and me putting my head through the openning you see in the picture-

I screwed in all the braces.

I was surprised at how sticky I didn’t get. I didn’t even put on the Tyvex suit this time. The final product looks good. I outlined the existing holes prior to covering so that I could drill them out once all the fiberglass was dry.